Last year, Continuuity came out of stealth mode at Strata + Hadoop World 2012. Much has happened since then. We closed our Series A funding in November, launched the beta of our Continuuity Development Kit in March, added support for batch processing in June and proclaimed our first production customer (Lotame) in August. We’ve been hard at work to ignite the next generation of Big Data application development. Today, at Strata + Hadoop World 2013, we are one step closer to delivering on our vision of making the power of Hadoop accessible to all developers.
Continuuity is open for business
We’re coming out of public beta and launching Continuuity Reactor 2.0. Now, businesses and developers can build and deploy production Big Data apps using our platform. We added a collection of new features to make Continuuity Reactor 2.0 production-ready, including MapReduce Scheduling, High Availability, Resource Isolation and full REST API support. In addition, developers can now run an entire end-to-end application in Local, Sandbox, and Distributed Reactors with an easy to use, integrated web server.
Continuuity Reactor 2.0
Here is a summary of new features in Continuuity Reactor 2.0:
- Workflow – Workflow allows scheduling and chaining of MapReduce jobs.
- High Availability – Continuuity Reactor 2.0 instances and its components are highly available supporting failover and redundancy.
- Resource View – Users can monitor resource utilization of storage, memory and CPU at different levels (Reactor, Application or individual components).
- Resource Isolation – Users can isolate resources, such as memory and CPU, for components and applications within a Reactor by using LXC and cgroups to prevent resource over-consumption and enable better multi-tenancy.
- Full REST API Support – A user can manage all aspects of Continuuity Reactor 2.0 using REST APIs.
- New APIs – A whole set of new APIs are available to support workflow, real-time and batch processing.
- Full Application Support – A user can run an entire end-to-end application on a Local or Sandbox Reactor with an integrated web server.
- Kerberos and Hadoop Security Integration – Continuuity Reactor 2.0 can run on a secure Hadoop cluster using Kerberos authentication.
- Usability – Continuuity Reactor 2.0 has simplified configurations and includes easy-to-use tools.
- Stability and Performance – Continuuity Reactor 2.0 has been optimized for stability and performance.
Strategic Relationship with Rackspace
Today, Rackspace announced a strategic relationship with Continuuity. We are excited to work with the team at Rackspace who share our passion for developers and making technology accessible. In support of our strategic agreement with Rackspace, Continuuity will deliver a fully-integrated Big Data application lifecycle for Java developers:
- Ease of access for Big Data developers – Developers can download the free Continuuity Reactor Development Kit and deploy to the Rackspace Cloud using the free Sandbox Reactor, which in turn can be easily pushed to a public or private cloud.
- Continuuity Reactor will support Rackspace’s OpenStack-based cloud, making it easy for Big Data developers to build applications in Rackspace’s private and public cloud.
- Continuuity will participate as a Big Data solution in Rackspace’s Cloud Tools Marketplace.
“We are very excited about this strategic collaboration with Continuuity. Continuuity Reactor makes it easy for developers to build Big Data applications,” said John Engates, CTO of Rackspace. “The combination of Continuuity Reactor with Rackspace Cloud will facilitate the full application life cycle for data driven application developers. This aligns well with our commitment towards delivering the best possible technology platform for a customer’s use case.”
Last week, I wrote a post about my story from Streamy to Continuuity. Streamy Lite is a personalized RSS recommendation system, which was rebuilt on Continuuity Reactor by the collective founders of Continuuity and the original Streamy. Streamy Lite is an example of what you can do with our platform, and we had a great time building it. We truly believe that you can build all kinds of cool, data-oriented apps using Continuuity Reactor in a fast and fun way.
Continuuity Reactor empowers developers by abstracting unnecessary complexity and exposing the power of Big Data and Hadoop. A developer can quickly and easily build, run, and scale Big Data apps from prototype to production. Download the SDK to start building immediately or contact sales if you are interested in Continuuity for your enterprise.